Conway One Designs were built between 1928 and 1989, the last two built in 1988 and 1989 were made of moulded GRP in a project sponsored by CYC in an attempt to keep the design racing whilst reducing the onerous task of maintaining a wooden vessel.
The first seven boats were built between 1928 and 1929, with Seiriol, the first coming from the yard of Mathew Owen of Menai Bridge.
She was followed by Minnie, Kandahar, Bluebird, and Gwalch,built in the shed of the designer W H Rowlands, and Cymba and Kathleen which followed from the slip of Dickies in Bangor
Kingfisher, Margaret II (ex Mary) and Acushla were built between 1935 and 1936 by Rileys of Deganwy in the home village of the Conway Yacht Club. The defining characteristic of these boats is a hollow or curved sheerline and they are known as the ‘banana boats’.
In 1939 just before war broke out Dickies in Bangor completed Mayfly II and Morris and Leavett of Beaumaris built Mercury and Musetta.
Maryland was built in 1946, and was followed by the GRP boats, Phoenix and Swn-y-Don in 1998/9 from the yard of Eric Bergqvist of the Ferry Boatyard, Penketh.